Moving ranks pretty high in the list of “most stressful life events”, and for good reason. With your life in boxes and your fridge defrosted stressful might feel like an understatement. However, some things in life need to be done, and we are here to help with the complete moving checklist that will hopefully take the pressure off.
2 Months To Go
- Stuff has a way of accumulating, especially if the last time you decluttered was before your last move. Go through your things and see what can be sold, tossed or donated.
- Look for movers, packing assistance and storage solutions, if needed.
- Make an inventory list of all your belongings- this will help get a dependable estimate of moving costs and will also come in handy when moving in.
- Keep every piece of paper pertaining to your move in a special folder- receipts, estimates, forms etc.
- If you’re moving to a new school district, now is the time to get your kids’ records transferred.
6 Weeks To Go
- Start collecting cardboard boxes from supermarkets and different stores.
- Buy some bubble wrap, permanent markers and tape.
- Your perishable goods, frozen food, and cleaning supplies probably won’t make it to your new home. Put them to good use so you don’t end up throwing them away.
- If possible, visit your new home and take precise measurements of rooms and passageways. Some of your larger pieces of furniture might not fit through the door, and it’s better to find out before you show up with the movers.
1 Month Before
- Start packing. Begin with the items you use most seldom, like the Hanukkah menorah or skiing gear. As you pack, note the more valuable items you will be moving and contact your mover for information about additional insurance.
- Label each box with its content and room of destination.
- Jewelry, important documents and items of great sentimental value are best to handle yourself, so pack them separately.
- Change your address online or at the post office by filling out a form. You also need to contact important parties (like banks, insurance companies etc.) and notify them of your upcoming move.
2 Weeks To Go
- Arrange to have a day off from work on moving day
- Fill out prescriptions
- Retrieve your medical records and get referrals for health professionals in your new area.
A Few Days To Go
- Finish packing. When most of your belongings are packed use suitcases for clothes and personal items your family will need for the few days before and after moving.
- Disassemble furniture like desks and shelves. Look for any existing damages and note them in your inventory.
- Defrost the freezer, 24 hours or more before moving.
- Make sure your payment to the mover is sorted and that you have enough cash to tip the movers if you are pleased with their work.
- Go through the vacated house and look for forgotten items.
- Leave your contact information for the new tenants.
- Turn off all the lights and lock the door.
Did you find this checklist helpful? Share your moving tips with us in the comments!