Moving requires planning and preparation. If you do not plan several weeks in advance, you may find yourself overwhelmed with the sheer number of things that need to be done. When it comes to moving, it’s best to start early and do one thing at a time. In order to be ready for the day you move, you should have a clear timeline. Here’s what we suggest:
8 Weeks Before Moving
- Start getting rid of unwanted things from your basement, attic, and storage.
- Book your moving company. If you don’t know who to use, compare moving companies on our website to find the best mover for you based on reviews and price. Booking early can save you money! Especially, if your move day is flexible because you can choose the best day with the best prices.
- Here’s a tip! Usually, the middle of the month/week is cheaper than weekends and the beginning/end of the month, when most people move.
7 Weeks Before Moving:
- Contact the IRS or an accountant to find out what moving expenses may be tax-deductible.
- Get referrals for dentists and doctors in your new area.
- Notify your children’s school for records to be transferred.
6 Weeks Before Moving:
- Start decluttering your home. Sort out all the items you no longer need and keep them separate.
- Make an inventory of your possessions and evaluate each item. Divide them into four categories: keep, give away to family, donate and sell.
- Contact your lawyers, doctors, dentists, and other professionals to obtain copies of your personal records.
- Start letting everyone know you are moving, including your friends, neighbors, colleagues, and business associates.
5 Weeks Before Moving:
- Organize a garage sale to sell the items that you no longer want.
- Give away the items that you want to give to family and friends.
- Get in touch with charities to donate the items you wish to donate, some will even come and pick them up for you!
- If you are going to pack yourself, start collecting the boxes you need. You can find free boxes or purchase new ones.
4 Weeks Before Moving:
- Contact your utility companies (electricity, water, and gas) and other service providers (the internet, cable, and telephone) to disconnect your service at your old address and to connect the service to your new address.
- Start packing the things that you will not need to use in the coming month.
3 Weeks Before Moving:
- If your new home is in another city, make travel arrangements and hotel reservations for your trip.
- Get all your important documents organized into one safe place, this way you can’t lose them.
2 Weeks Before Moving:
- Contact your banks to notify them of your move and update them with your new home address.
- Have your car serviced and make sure that it is ready for the trip.
1 Week Before the Move:
- Pack your remaining belongings.
- Finish giving away, donating or selling all the items you are not taking with you.
- Stop shopping for groceries. Try to use up the food that you have in your fridge and pantry.
- Make sure that all the utilities and services have been disconnected at your old address and connected to your new address.
Check out our other great posts for additional moving tips!